Connect with us

411

Joburg Mayor Calls for Probe Into Alleged Water Sabotage Plot

Published

on

eastern food bazaar
Picture: Itumeleng English / Independent Newspapers

Johannesburg Mayor Dada Morero has called on law enforcement agencies to investigate allegations of a secret plan to destabilize his leadership by orchestrating water supply cuts across the city.

Morero addressed the media on Friday, providing an update on the water supply situation in Johannesburg following widespread outages. His remarks came after reports surfaced of an audio recording allegedly capturing discussions about using water disruptions to undermine his administration.

The Star newspaper reported that the recording was made during a covert meeting involving two MMCs, two ANC officials, and a Rand Water representative. According to the report, the individuals allegedly discussed extending water cuts in Johannesburg to portray Morero as incapable of securing a stable supply.

Also Read: South Africa’s eThekwini Municipality to Restrict Water for 550,000 Homes

“We note that this ploy is said to be part of a political scheme to render the city ungovernable and to usurp the mayor of his authority. I don’t have the recordings, but it was important for the executive mayor’s office to respond because these are serious allegations,” Morero said.

While he has not personally obtained the alleged recording, Morero said the claims amount to potential “treason” and warrant a full-scale investigation. He emphasized that any deliberate interference with Johannesburg’s water supply would be an attack on a national key point.

“Whether true or not, it is a matter for competent law enforcement agencies to confirm. These allegations cannot be ignored,” he said.

Water Supply Situation Improves

Despite the controversy, Morero assured residents that the city’s water supply has improved significantly since the previous week. He acknowledged that some areas may still experience issues due to airlocks in the system, but teams on the ground were working to resolve them.

The disruptions were linked to a series of power failures that impacted critical pump stations:

  • February 10: A power failure affected the Eikenhof pump station.
  • February 11-12: Additional power failures hit the Zwartkopjes and Eikenhof pump stations.

Johannesburg Water has been monitoring the recovery process, with both Rand Water and city technicians working to stabilize affected reservoirs and towers.

“Technical interventions are ongoing to restore supply and improve capacity,” Morero stated.

Also Read: Soweto Residents Face Devastating Flooding Due to Blocked Stormwater Drains

Morero also highlighted ongoing efforts to manage high water consumption. Since November 8 last year, Johannesburg Water has been implementing supply throttling on a rotational basis.

“The list of restricted sites has increased, including halting pumping to certain towers. This is necessary to balance supply and prevent further strain on the system,” he said.

He urged residents to avoid excessive water use, warning that Level 2 water restrictions could be imposed if consumption remains high. With recent heavy rains, he encouraged households to harvest rainwater where possible.

Morero confirmed that his office has engaged Johannesburg Water management regarding an ongoing corruption investigation involving a R263 million water tanker contract. The case is currently before the courts, and internal auditors are conducting a review.

As Johannesburg battles both infrastructure challenges and political tensions, the mayor’s call for a formal probe into the alleged sabotage plot signals a deepening crisis over the city’s water supply.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter , TikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com