Connect with us

411

Gayton McKenzie Faces Backlash Over Joshlin Smith Case Involvement

Published

on

Picture: Business day

Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture and Patriotic Alliance leader Gayton McKenzie has spoken out about his role in the Joshlin Smith case, revealing that he now faces accusations of kidnapping and interference in the investigation.

McKenzie was among the public figures who amplified the search for the missing six-year-old, but his involvement has drawn scrutiny. Speaking on Sunday, he disclosed that legal action might be taken against him.

“We have given our statements to lawyers… Another charge is that we have interfered with the case. It is now before the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to see whether they are going to prosecute us,” he said.

Also Read:

Joshlin has been missing since February 19, 2024. Captain Wesley Lombard, testifying in court, outlined how misinformation and social media disruptions hindered the investigation.

“Parts of the community worked against the police, spreading false claims that the search had ended within days. TikTok influencers had more influence than law enforcement, broadcasting details of the case live, which complicated efforts to find Joshlin. This not only hindered police work but also posed a security risk, as suspects could monitor updates and adjust their actions accordingly,” Lombard explained.

McKenzie stated that he was contacted by a Saldanha Bay councillor due to the involvement of Joshlin’s mother, Racquel ‘Kelly’ Smith, who is a Patriotic Alliance member. He met with her and listened to her claims.

Also Read:

“She told me that black people, specifically Nigerians from the informal settlement, had taken Joshlin. But her behavior didn’t align with that of a mother who had lost her child. I tried to rationalize it, thinking trauma affects people differently,” McKenzie said.

He recalled an individual approaching him with claims that Joshlin had been seen near a dam. He shared this information with a police officer but felt the urgency wasn’t taken seriously. According to McKenzie, he later heard allegations that Joshlin had been sold to Ayanda Letoni for muthi. “The cops feared Ayanda and wanted to arrest us instead,” he alleged.

He further claimed that Letoni was a known drug dealer, with ties to the local mayor.

“They planned to sell Joshlin for a long time. Ayanda was the mastermind, and Kelly was paid. The money went to drugs. Joshlin is still alive. I don’t believe the muthi story,” McKenzie insisted.

As the investigation continues, McKenzie’s claims have added another layer of complexity to an already troubling case.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter , TikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Sourced:IOL