Connect with us

411

Former Teacher Loses R2 Million in Alleged Banking Scam

Published

on

Picture: Allan Swart

A former teacher, who prefers to be identified as Refilwe Masango, is demanding answers from First National Bank (FNB) after losing over R2 million in a sophisticated scam. She insists that the bank should have protected her, as she was escorted into two FNB branches in Johannesburg on three occasions within a week to withdraw the funds.

Speaking to IOL, Refilwe (not her real name) detailed how she was subjected to rituals and manipulation before being taken to the banks. She believes that the criminals used muthi to alter her state of mind, making her comply with their demands.

How the Scam Unfolded

Refilwe met a man named Jacob on a Christian dating website (CDFF – Christian Dating For Free) in February 2022. Over time, he persuaded her to sell her Rustenburg property, which was worth R4 million, for just R2.5 million. She eventually agreed, and the proceeds were deposited into her FNB account on March 29, 2023.

Shortly after, Jacob convinced her to travel to Johannesburg, where he claimed to have found a business opportunity involving a property purchase.

Upon arrival, she was taken to a guest lodge near BluBird Shopping Centre, where Jacob introduced himself as a businessman dealing in cars and properties. He later insisted that she visit his uncle’s house at 85 Auckland Avenue, Johannesburg.

At the uncle’s house, Refilwe encountered a woman she described as a “wizard” who touched her face and welcomed her to the family. That night, she was taken into a dark room, supposedly for spiritual rituals, where she was told that her ancestors would communicate with her.

“I was in a dark room with candles and animal skins. There was a hut inside the room, and I was terrified. I was told my suffering would end soon.”

She now believes that the food and drinks given to her during this time impaired her judgment.

Multiple Large Cash Withdrawals from FNB

After the rituals, Refilwe was instructed to withdraw R2.5 million from her FNB account.

  1. April 4, 2023 – She withdrew R130,000 at an FNB branch in Greenstone.
  2. April 6, 2023 – She was taken to FNB Sandton, where she withdrew R1.4 million in cash. The scammers squeezed the money into a suitcase before driving away.
  3. April 8, 2023 – She withdrew R600,000 at the same FNB Sandton branch.

In all instances, two scammers escorted her into the bank, and she was helped by the same teller, Yolanda, and a manager named Rieta. She questions why bank staff did not intervene when she was withdrawing such large sums in cash without prior booking.

Bank Transfers and Loss of Funds

Even after withdrawing over R2 million, the scammers convinced Refilwe to transfer an additional R130,000 to an FNB account belonging to Omega Masuku on April 11, 2023.

Once they had all the money, they released her. Feeling disoriented, she returned home to Mafikeng.

“I was under a form of duress the whole time. I wasn’t allowed to leave, and even at the bank, I hoped the tellers would question me and refuse to give me the money. But they never did.”

Since the scam, Refilwe has faced financial devastation. She previously earned R42,000 per month from rental income, but now she survives on an old-age grant.

“I had to downgrade my entire life. My mental health has suffered, and I can no longer provide for my children or an orphan I was supporting.”

Victims Demand Accountability from FNB

Refilwe has since opened a case with SAPS Sandringham in hopes of retrieving her lost money. She and other scam victims believe that FNB should have flagged suspicious transactions and protected customers from such scams.

“FNB staff saw that I was escorted by foreign nationals and didn’t question why I was withdrawing over R2 million in one week. Their policies claim that cash withdrawals over R50,000 require special transactions—so how did this happen?”

FNB’s Response to the Scam Allegations

FNB’s Head of Public Relations and External Communications, Sizwekazi Mdingi, responded to IOL, stating that the bank takes fraud cases seriously and investigates each matter thoroughly.

“FNB has a layered approach to fraud prevention and regularly reviews its security measures. We encourage customers to consult registered financial advisors before making financial decisions.”

Mdingi also advised victims to report fraud cases directly to FNB’s security centre via the bank’s app or by calling 087 575 9444.

However, FNB refused to comment on specific cases due to client confidentiality.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter , TikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Sourced: IOL